Friday, April 24, 2015

Why isn't Mommy in More Pictures?

This was my 1 1/2 year old son on the day he was born. So tiny and fragile. Perfect. He is my first born, and mine and my husband's life had turned upside down in the best way possible. The first week was the hardest. Night feedings, diaper changes, and surviving on 2 hours of sleep was a huge change. I think the first three months of his life, I had more coffee in my body than blood. I read all the parenting books, done research and planned for parenthood. However, nothing prepared me for my new body.
After giving birth, I had "a few" extra pounds as well as stretch marks. I like many women have struggled with a healthy view of my body since I was a teenager. The extra "mommy flab" I developed really threw me. As a result, I can count on one hand the number of photographs I am in during the first year of my son's life. I can't ever get those moments back. I always used the excuse, "I'm behind the camera, not in front." But the reality is, I never wanted pictures of me.
The reality is, our kids don't care what the scale says, our husbands don't care what the scale says. No. Only we care. When they look at family photos, they don't care what size you were, they just see their mama.
I am challenging you to step out from behind the camera more. Be in the moment with your kids, because you will never be able to re create the moment. You are beautiful, not because of your dress size or what number the scale says. You are beautiful because you are unique, you are special, you are their mama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment