Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Relationship Goals: Unrealistic Expectations

I saw this in my news feed on Facebook. I was posted by a girl I grew up with, who is unmarried and not in a relationship. It honestly made me outraged that this is a goal she has for a relationship? I see similar picture with the caption, "Relationship Goals".
These should not be your goals for a relationship if you want a lasting one. Flowers and lavish gifts are nice, and of course always appreciated, but there are more important things in a relationship. Why are lavish gifts, cutesie pictures, and perfect dates your relationship goals? I have only been married 2 years as of March, but I have been through my share or relationships, and none of them ended well. All of these "relationship goals" seem one sided to me. Like the girl is treated like a queen, getting everything she wants, while he is not getting anything in return.
In a relationship, both people need to be equal. I am not saying you have to be broke for your relationship to work, but things like mutual respect, shared values, shared interests etc. are more important.
My husband still surprises me with flowers on his way home from work occasionally, just because he wanted to. Even though we have boys, toddler and another one due to make his appearance next month. He no longer has to try to win me over, but he still surprises me. Our marriage works, because our marriage isn't one sided. He'll wake up with the toddler on Saturday morning and let me sleep in. I make Apple Brown Sugar Pork Chops for dinner one weeknight  even though it takes more work to cook, just because I know it's his favorite meal. Him listening to me vent and giving me a hug after a frustrating day no mater how menial the problem sounds, it means more than a trunk full of expensive gifts. 
People seem to just expect to receive in a relationship, but what are YOU doing? The only way to build a lasting relationship is to stop focusing on what they are doing or not doing for you and start treating them the way you would like to be treated. Everyone likes to feel loved, respected, and appreciated. If  your Significant Other is not "measuring up" to your standards, try evaluating yourself. Are you showing them appreciate them? How often do you say positive or encouraging words to them?  Try being the person you want your Significant Other to be. Try doing the dishes for her one night so she doesn't have to. Make him his favorite breakfast before he goes to work, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment